Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Book Review: Death by Meeting

Book Description:

This book is centered around a cure for the most painful yet underestimated problem of modern business: bad meetings.

Casey McDaniel, the founder and CEO of Yip Software, is in the midst of a problem he created, but one he doesn't know how to solve. And he doesn't know where or who to turn to for advice. His staff can't help him; they're as dumbfounded as he is by their tortuous meetings.

Then an unlikely advisor, Will Peterson, enters Casey's world. When he proposes an unconventional, even radical, approach to solving the meeting problem, Casey is just desperate enough to listen.
***

"Death by Meeting" is a work of business fiction (maybe motivational?) by author Patrick Lencioni. The idea is to provide models, and framework for the models, then apply them to a real world for better understanding.

This book was made available by my office so that we would have better and more meaningful meetings, and I must admit, the book had a lot to teach. I got myself a notepad and took down all the steps. It was an interesting piece, but just like the other books in this genre, the fiction could have been removed... about 260 pages for a model and framework seemed a lot.

The truth is that, the lessons to be learned were only a few pages at the end, and had I known that, I wouldn't have read the whole book... or maybe I would, just because I know it's there. From many other reviews, I saw that some other people just jumped right to the end, because it answered the questions they were looking for directly, and didn't really have the time to read through 260 pages of fiction.

But I love the concepts and ideas of meetings (I won't mention them here, so you would have to go and get your own copy).

In all, it is very helpful and insightful for businesses. Highly recommended to professionals, business owners and managers.

4 STARS

Literarily Yours,
CMO.

No comments:

Post a Comment